Thursday, December 13, 2012

Post:1 after class and going forward!

My Urban Environmental History class is over, but I have decided with a little guidance from my instructor to continue my research. I will still post on Iowa, but I will also incorporate other states, countries, environmental justice, and hopefully posts from other people, ones that have been through a flood personally. 

Reasons for new approach:

Other States: the 1000 year flood in Tennessee would be the main answer, but also Hurricanes suck as Sandy, Katrina, and Andrew

Countries: the documentary  "Flow" got me interested in water contamination due to dam creation.The Three Gorges Dam in China. It's construction caused 1.7 million people to lose their homes. The link on the dam will take you to Scientific American (link to the about us page for Scientific American), which is a web based science magazine. The title of the article is 

China's Three Gorges Dam: An Environmental Catastrophe? by: Mara Hvistendahl

From the title you might guess what the article will cover. I will try and review the article and get more information about the Three Gorges Dam on here tomorrow. I'd do it today but, I still have finals to write.

Other countries that interest me are Russia, England, the whole area ravaged by the 2004 Tsunami (this link will take you to a 8 part series on Youtube that show the Tsunami), then countries in Africa and South America

Environmental Justice: I want to do what flow did, but I want to do it with text. This might make more sense if you have watched the movie.

And last user input: I want post for people that have been in floods. They are the best suited to write on the subject since they have lived it.



No comments:

Post a Comment